Embellished Circus

8.15.2006

Help please!

My husband reads western novels and a while back one of the pages fell out of his book. He was reading a vintage 1950s book and the page was from the flyleaf and it absolutely captivated me. I've been wanting to do something with this page for a while but now I'm not happy with it. The values are all so similar that the piece kind of blends together. I'm not sure what to do with it to make it pop. I can't do a whole lot to it because everything is glued down, LOL. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Click image to enlarge

Gambling Girl


and yes, that is real snakeskin, LOL. But it is a shed skin, no actual snakes were harmed in the process of making this piece.

4 Comments:

  • Okay--here's my thought. Yes, it suffers from brownness but the composition is lovely. It could use some deeper, more mahogany, shiny browns and yellows on the other end as a complement...OR...how about a border (blue or red cowboy hankie style or whatever floats your boat) and then incorporate that color into the picture by outlining things or adding color to parts of it with watercolor crayons or shivas or what have you? What a cool idea. I love old westerns and have read all Louis L'Amour books! Keli

    By Blogger Kelli Nina Perkins, at 15.8.06  

  • hmmm how about some heavy deep browns and golds along the edges? maybe some handwritten stuff in an aged looking brown ink, longhand, with a fountain pen?

    By Blogger nicci, at 15.8.06  

  • I agree with Kelli and Nicci that a little more contrast might do the trick. The most recent issue of Somerset has this palette in their "With One Palette" column. If you can get your hands on that it may give you some ideas.
    lovely!

    By Blogger Amy, at 17.8.06  

  • I love this! My first instinct would be to add something more dimensional to give it depth, perhaps over the upper left corner of the pic and overlapping the bottom text corner above it? I am thinking something like a watch face, a large coin or medallion, an old brooch, some vintage buttons, a scrap of embroidered cloth, a spent bullet, some burnt matches and candlewax...(of course, just one thing would do!)

    By Blogger nici, at 17.8.06  

Post a Comment

<< Home