Embellished Circus

10.27.2006

Latest Obsession: Botanical Heart Art

Disclaimer: There's no real substance here. It's a ramble and a brag because I'm really pleased with the way these ATCs turned out.

Every year, when I should start thinking about designing and making Christmas and Solstice and New Year cards, I start thinking about Valentine's Day. Blue and silver are nice, but pink and green are better. Tree ornaments are swell, but paper hearts make my little heart sing. Valentine's Day (and Cute Overload and Ptichka) always reveal the smooshy romantic I hide beneath a crusty, reserved-Protestant, rational, avant-garde-admiring, radical-politics-loving public self.

Since I've been making an ATC a day (ish) this month, I have not taken the time to do much paper cutting, which translates into painted hearts. And armed with my new book full of plant pictures, I've been combining hearts with my other love, flowers. I believe that there is not a flower (well, maybe not orchids) that cannot have its blooms replaced with either paper or painted hearts. And now that I think about it, some orchids could withstand the heart treatment.

So, there it is, my latest obsession. I may be trying to figure out how to include paper and painted hearts in my holiday cards this year. Or maybe I'll just forgo them altogether and start sending out valentines in December. Gifts under the tree are nice, but wouldn't you rather receive someone's heart?

2 Comments:

  • These are beautiful, Zhenia!! I especially love the blue/silver one :)

    By Blogger Penny, at 30.10.06  

  • These are delightful!
    Holiday hearts, hmmm...a tree with heart ornaments? mittens with hearts? a wreath with heart leaves?

    By Blogger nici, at 3.11.06  

Post a Comment

<< Home