Embellished Circus

6.25.2007

Dorothy in the land of disfunction


The Wizard of Oz has long been my favorite movie. So it is no surprise that I often think in "Oz" terms. I will make a real bone-head mistake and think "If I only had a brain." I will get totally lost and lament "Where is that yellow brick road when I need it?"

My fascination with all things Oz has also led me to examine some of the finer points of the characters more closely. I have always loved Professor Marvel's term of "care worn" when reffering to Auntie Em's face. What a great term! I'm not wrinkly - I'm care worn!
Additonally, it occurred to me a while back that Glinda, the Good Witch was quite passive-agressive. Think about it. She antagonizes the Wicked Witch endlessly - she is already majorly peeved at the poor girl when Glinda "reminds" her of the ruby slippers. Then, while she goes to get them, Glinda magically places them on Dorothy's feet and tells her "Tough cookies, sweetie. You can't have them, unless you kill her." Did Dorothy ask for the shoes? NO! Can't she see how scared Dorothy is of the Wicked Witch? So Glinda's response is to make the poor girl wear these damn shoes she didn't want, dooming her to be endlessly chased by the homicidal hag. Her final indignity is to say "Oh by the way, Dorothy, you can't stay in Munchkin land. You know the place where you'd be safe?!!" So off Dorothy must go with a powerful and unstable witch after her. Such nice hospitality. Why does everyone think the chick in pink is so great?!!
Anyway, that is the way my brain works. It is little wonder I made the journal shown above. I mean, shoudn't the kid get something for all the crud she put up with?
Kathleen

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

  • Kathleen - have you read the book Wicked or seen the musical by any chance? I Love Love both!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 28.6.07  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 28.6.07  

  • That title just says it ALL.

    Spike

    By Blogger Spike, at 2.7.07  

  • Oh yes the Wicked book....a great book however the ending was Lammo, He quickly just kinda tied it all together.blah...up until that point the book totally was great.
    I love that journal!!!!! I meant to comment at your blog when i first admired it.
    Ang

    By Blogger Unknown, at 3.7.07  

Post a Comment

<< Home