Embellished Circus

6.19.2007

hey now

Ptichka and I have been reading the same procrastination book lately. The whole premise is that people need stretches of time during which they should engage in guilt-free play. It's a lovely idea and I'm working on working more efficiently so that I can do the fun things in life.

So even though I'm still revising as my hard and fast deadline approaches, I've been taking more evenings off to do exciting things like see Ocean's Thirteen, paint the bedroom, go grocery shopping, and hang. Last night, Ptichka and I went to a stitch in bitch. Three people knitted, one just hung out, one drew plans for a cloth book, and two of us (Ptichka and I) cut paper.

Below is a scan of the first ATC I've made in Winnipeg.

Tree ATC

acrylics, scrapbooking paper, Indian paper, Japanese paper, gold leafing pen

5 Comments:

  • ok I would love to hear about this book more... my husband lives his life this way- there is always time for fun first. It can be really great but... not always. I love your ATC, your trees always inspire me!

    By Blogger Wendy Miller, at 19.6.07  

  • Zhenia, this is a wonderful atc! I hope there are are series of these in the works, although it looks like it took a long time to make!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 19.6.07  

  • Wendy: The book is called The Now Habit and it's not all about fun first. It's primarily about stopping procrastination and acting like an adult. Part of stopping procrastination is guilt-free fun. If we feel like we have to work all the time (or at least worry about work all the time) and never get to enjoy ourselves, we work less effectively. From my own personal experience as a grad student, I think that this is totally true. So, the author advocates scheduling in fun time and not allowing yourself to worry about work during those times.

    Kirsten: Thanks! There will be more of these in different colourways. It wasn't that difficult really. The hole punch is my friend.

    By Blogger Zhenia, at 20.6.07  

  • I love trees...very nice, Zh. :)

    By Blogger Penny, at 20.6.07  

  • ooh. dots.
    it's really goofy how something so seeingly simple can be such an effective design element.
    woot!
    good eye *grin*

    By Blogger nicci, at 6.7.07  

Post a Comment

<< Home