Embellished Circus

8.10.2007

Mixed Media Seaweed

Study: Mixed Media SeaweedI have two larger projects on the go chez moi: an artist book and a series of canvases featuring, well, seaweed. I have decided that seaweed is awesome (and the new tree).

The background took more time than the seaweed. For the former, I used the first several steps of Chrysti's background technique that was published in the most recent issue of CPS. I stopped after adding ink, skipped the paper lace steps, and went right to the doodling step, which I did in more artist ink. Man, I love artist ink at the moment. I'd drink it but it would probably make me sick. The border is in gel pen, which smudges super awesomely. The actual seaweed is gel pen and liquid acrylics on a page from an old Soviet lit textbook.

I think that my next study will involve some tissue collage before reaching for the paint. Texture is fun!

(cross-posted without the commentary at Two Bits)

2 Comments:

  • i am going to have to agree that seaweed is awesome. when i was little, i used to doodle seaweed and fishies all over the place.

    i adore the way you used texty paper for the seaweed, and darkened the edges. i would LOVE to see this sort of design on a tote bag done as an art quilty thing.

    By Blogger nicci, at 10.8.07  

  • I too love the seaweed look...I doodle it all the time...I think it is the movement of it!! IT IS THE NEW TREE!! LOL....I have been doing seaweed for years like Nicci...good to know we are finally IN!! LOL

    By Blogger Patricia J. Mosca, at 11.8.07  

Post a Comment

<< Home