Embellished Circus

11.02.2006

A Manifesto I Can Love

I am simultaneously repulsed and attracted to manifestoes.

The minuses of manifestoes include:
  • the yelling (oh, the yelling)
  • the either/or attitude
  • the dogmatism

The pluses of manifestoes include:
  • the yelling (oh, the yelling)
  • the either/or attitude
  • the dogmatism

Bruce Mau's Incomplete Manifesto has been around since 1998. I read it for the first time in 2001. A friend inside the computer posted a link to it today and I find it just as inspiring today as I found it five years ago.

My highlights:

2. Forget about good. Good is a known quantity. Good is what we all agree on. Growth is not necessarily good. Growth is an exploration of unlit recesses that may or may not yield to our research. As long as you stick to good you'll never have real growth.
...
8. Drift. Allow yourself to wander aimlessly. Explore adjacencies. Lack judgment. Postpone criticism.
...
14. Don’t be cool. Cool is conservative fear dressed in black. Free yourself from limits of this sort.
...
21. Repeat yourself. If you like it, do it again. If you don’t like it, do it again.
...
35. Imitate. Don’t be shy about it. Try to get as close as you can. You'll never get all the way, and the separation might be truly remarkable. We have only to look to Richard Hamilton and his version of Marcel Duchamp’s large glass to see how rich, discredited, and underused imitation is as a technique.

I realized that while culling the "highlights" of the manifesto, I really wanted to post all of it here. I hope that you'll read the entire thing.

Is there anything in the "Incomplete Manifesto" that speaks to you? Do you have your own manifesto? If so, what is it?

1 Comments:

  • Wow.

    If you hadn't posted the highlights, I don't think I would have gone back and re-read the whole thing.

    Lemme back up. I read the whole thing some years ago--the site is familiar, and so are some of the words. But when I first read it, it was from the mindset of someone who saw herself solely as a writer. And because language is linear, so much of the manifesto did not relate to what I was doing. For me, language is linear, but art is radial.

    Now that I'm doing more with my non-verbal mind, this is so much more than words. And yelling. And dogmatism.

    Thank you.

    Spike

    By Blogger Spike, at 17.4.07  

Post a Comment

<< Home